I love Sparrow mail on the desktop, but I’m not as thrilled with the mobile app. I downloaded the iPhone app last month, the day that it was released. I was already enjoying the desktop version and was overjoyed that it was released as an iOS app. I paid $2.99 for it, sight unseen.
Sparrow for iOS is superbly beautifully designed, but lacks some key features, even in the latest version (currently 1.1). I just noticed recently that I can’t even compose email in landscape mode! Insanity! That is the final straw. I’m going to stop using it until a more feature-complete version is released.
My complaints include:
- No landscape message composition! (inexcusable)
- No push notifications. (they explained this and plan to add it in 1.2)
- No way to disable loading of remote images, which slows everything down and bugs the hell out of me.
- No easy way to flip through unread messages once I am already reading one. I have to go back to the inbox after reading each message, which is very annoying.
- No way to add a Gmail label to a message I’m currently reading. (that I can find)
Instead, I have decided to switch to the Gmail app from Google. It isn’t as pretty or slick to the touch as Sparrow, but it is quite functional. It is capable of everything that I just complained about above. I think it’s a good solution. Google has vowed to continue rolling out newer versions of it, but they are pretty slow. I hope it improves over time. Likewise for Sparrow.